Timberland Boots: How to Clean, Protect & Remove Stains
How To: Clean Your Boots | Timberland
Cleaning and Protecting your Timberland Boots
Your Timberlands are an investment, and like any good work tool, they’ll last longer if you look after them properly. Suede and nubuck leather care doesn’t have to be difficult: in fact, cleaning Timberland boots is a simple process of removing the excess dirt, gently wiping to remove stains and brushing your boots to prolong their life.
Cleaning leather boots might seem like a daunting task but once you’ve removed the surface dirt all you need to do is polish, condition and brush and they’ll look better for longer. If your boots are new, use a protective spray to avoid water marks and stains and extend the life of your shoes.
What you’ll need
Here’s what you need to clean leather or suede boots:
- Waterproofing spray (make sure you choose the right one for your fabric type)
- Boot brush or old towel
- Gentle wipes
- Recommended Timberland cleaning product for your fabric type
- Replacement laces (optional)
Cleaning Products per Boot Type
To make sure you’re cleaning Timberland boots with the right product for your boot type, we’ve made a chart to help you with how to clean leather versus suede or synthetic fabrics. If you aren’t using our in-house recommendations, make sure you read the label and choose a product that suits your boots.
|Cleaning Product||Suitability per Boot Type|
|Suede Leather||Nubuck Leather||Smooth Leather||Pebbled Leather||Waxed Leather||Oiled Leather||Canvas||Rubber||Nylon|
|RENEWBUCK® SUEDE AND NUBUCK FOAM CLEANER||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|DRY CLEANING KIT||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|SUEDE RESTORER BRUSH||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|WAXIMUM™ WAXED LEATHER PROTECTOR||No||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|BOOT SAUCE™ CLEANER||No||No||No||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|BOOT SAUCE™ CONDITIONER||No||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No||No|
|MAX® SHOE SHINE||No||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No||No|
Cleaning Boots Step by Step
Cleaning your boots follows the same basic process no matter their type, but it’s important that you familiarise yourself with the different kinds of leather and their reactions to different methods of cleaning. This step by step process can be followed time after time to refresh Timberland shoes and boots of all fabrics and keep them feeling and looking durable for longer:
1. Remove the shoelaces to ensure you can deep-clean the whole boot.
2. Using a Timberland brush or similar surface, thoroughly scrub all dirt and debris from your shoes - this is a key step so it may be worth going over your boots twice.
3. Start gently: use wipes or a warm washcloth to clean along the outside of your boot.
4. View the chart above, and select the appropriate cleaner for your main fabric.
5. Apply the product with a sponge or applicator as directed and scrub clean.
6. Buff your boots to keep them looking new, using our Restorer Brush or a professional leather brush.
7. Clean leather looks good polished: remove black marks and scuffs with the recommended product for your shoe type.
8. Wash laces separately and re-lace to keep your shoes looking newer.